Dr. Rodney T. Hard


1.  In the several hostile confrontations that Hise and I experienced in the streets of Korea, there was never one time that either of us had ever caused or instigated a fight with any military service personnel or Korean civilians.  This was not in our nature.  However, we both hold to the belief that every person has the right to defend themselves.  There is no doubt in our minds that without the extensive training in Hapkido under Grand Master PARK Sung Jae, that the outcome to these hostile confrontations could very well have turned out much differently. 

2.  I realized how drinking can cause people to have very poor judgment.

3.  I realized that you sometimes have to severely injure people on drugs or alcohol to stop them.  I guess that they just don't feel as much pain until they sober up.

4.  I do have to sheepishly admit that in this one situation, though severely provoked and threatened by aggressive idiots,  Hise and I were really not in immediate danger.  So, we may have crossed the line to some degree about the self defense issue, but we were young and also full of ourselves.  Well, I still think they had it coming.

                        Fight with Three GIs

By:  Dr. Rodney T. Hard

Lewis Hise was working the 3 to 11 shift as a military policeman.  Around 10:45 p.m., he was called to come to the guard post that led to the NCO club due to an unprovoked fight inside the NCO club by three service men from another unit.  The three service men had only been inside the club less than five minutes when they attacked another GI without any provocation. 

Hise had just reached the guard post when the three service men were exiting the club after being thrown out of the club.  All three were yelling boisterously and had open bottles of beer in their hands.  As they walked down the walled-in alleyway and approached the guard post to exit the compound, Hise asked them to leave the bottles of beer inside the compound, as it was against regulations to carry opened bottles of alcohol outside the NCO club.  One of the men began verbal insults and continued to walk toward the exit still carrying the beer.  Once again Hise told them to put the bottles down, as it was against regulations to leave the NCO club with an open container of alcohol. 

As the three men got closer they continued the verbal assault until they were within five feet of Hise.  At that time, they began to purposely wave the bottles of beer resulting in Hise getting showered with beer. 

Hise remained calm and ask them once again to put the beer on the ground and leave the compound.  One of the three men exited the compound, but the other two remained inside.  The man who had stepped outside the compound began to call Hise a "chicken shit Buck Sergeant", and asked him to step outside the compound to fight him.   He continued to call Hise all kind of names, and as the verbal assault continued, a large crowd was developing.   The man would not stop with the challenge of a fight, so after hearing enough, Hise told him that he would be off duty in about two minutes and that he would be glad to oblige the man's wishes.

I happened to be watching the event unfold and placed myself in the doorway with my back against the door frame.   The relief Sergeant had just arrived to relieve Hise off the shift, so Hise took off his pistol belt and gave it to him.  Now the other two who had remained inside started to exit the compound and one purposely jostled me with his body as he was exiting.  I immediately tripped the guy sending him sprawling into the street, and the other man hurriedly exited the compound. 

The first man was still calling Hise outside after seeing one of his friends stumble to the ground from me tripping him.  The other man who had made it outside the compound picked up a large stone and was about to hit me with it when I executed a well-placed kick into the man’s chest and sent him reeling backwards hitting the ground.  Upon seeing his friend being taken out of the fight so quickly, the other man ran away. 

Not knowing how the first man, who was still yelling at Hise,  was going to react after seeing his friend hit the ground, Hise immediately ran to the man who was calling him out to fight and executed a flying side kick, knocking the man down.  However, the man quickly got up and attacked Hise.  Within a minute Hise had executed and landed numerous kicking and striking techniques on the man until the man was beaten to the ground.  Finally the man said that he had had enough, so Hise let him up. 

By then, I had also made short work of my opponent and sent him scurrying away with a bloody face and some seriously bruised ribs.

The man that Hise had beaten up walked down the street about 100 feet and turned toward Hise.  He began another verbal assault and again told Hise that he was coming back to beat the hell out of him.  The amazing thing is that he immediately came back and attacked Hise once again.  The results were the exactly the same for the man as the first time.  Once again the man said that he had had enough so Hise let him go again.  

Now this man had just taken two beatings, and as he got to about the same distance as he did the first time, he once again turned to Hise and once again said he was going to beat the hell out of Hise.  By this time, we were both stunned at the tenacity of the man, or perhaps at his foolhardiness. 

So, the man comes back again and once again attacks Hise.  This time however, Hise had had enough and after another flurry of hard kicks and punches the man hit the ground.  Hise told him to leave and never come back to our unit again or he would meet with the same fate.  This time, the man left and did not return.

A few days later we heard that the man Hise beat up could not get out of bed the morning after the incident, and that he had been taken to the hospital.  Of course we were concerned that we might be called to our company commander’s office, but we never heard from anyone.  As it turned out, this particular man had a very bad reputation for instigating fights and beating up on other military personnel.  Perhaps that is the reason we never heard anything from our CO’s office. 

About a month later Hise and I were transporting one of the North Korean spies to the hospital for some medical reason, and we happened to run into the man Hise beat up.  He was sitting in the waiting room inside the hospital.  We had heard that Hise had broken the man’s nose, ribs, arm, and collar bone during the fight.  Well, the man had a body cast on from his waist up to his neck and down one of his arms.   

The man recognized us though we were in civilian clothing on a covert mission.  He started to get out of his chair with a wild look in his eyes and started to say something to Hise.  But, due to the nature of who the person was that we were escorting to the hospital, we could not allow any confrontations with anyone.  Hise and I were in civilian suits so we simply pulled back our coats exposing to the man our concealed .38 pistols.   The man shut up and quickly sat back down.

This is the guard shack and doorway to the outside of the compound. 

Rodney Hard in civilian clothes with .38 pistol in shoulder holster as he dressed on missions like the one described in the story.

Lewis Hise off duty at the interrogation compound of the 502nd Military Intelligence Company in Seoul, Korea.

Three off duty GIs walking down alleyway coming from the club towards the guard shack.  Though these were not the same three guys in the story, one of them is carrying a beer and would have been told to leave it before exiting the compound.